Files |  Tutorials |  Articles |  Links |  Home |  Team |  Forum |  Wiki |  Impressum

Aktuelle Zeit: Do Mär 28, 2024 17:10

Foren-Übersicht » English » English Programming Forum
Unbeantwortete Themen | Aktive Themen

Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: Box Pop
BeitragVerfasst: Do Mai 20, 2010 05:20 
DGL Member

Iv created a connect 3 style game called Box Pop and would like your opinions. The aim of the game is to create vertical or horizontal lines of three or more of one type of box by swapping them. You can only swap box's if they would create a line of 3 or more.

- Download ~16.4MB

Bild

Betreff des Beitrags: Re: Box Pop
BeitragVerfasst: Do Mai 20, 2010 08:53 
DGL Member

Nice solid work :) i like it.

pro:
- musik (is it from you?).
- design of the box and gear and stones.
- uninstall icon.

con:
- did not find a "musik off or sound off" button.
- download size
- personally i dont like if minigames or tools need to be installed.
- gameplay is somewhat random? finding some combination causes a chain reaction of combinations that where not even visible during the initial click.

Suggestions:

- Put it in the Projects section of the forums.
- maybe replace the black background by some unsharp 3d woodstones
- add musik and / or sound off button.
- when time is getting up, maybe a warning or some effect to raise tensions would be nice, like a spoken countdown or something.

overall i like it.

BeitragVerfasst: Do Mai 20, 2010 12:17 
DGL Member

Zitat:
musik (is it from you?).

The music is by a guy called Dan-O. Unfortunately i don't have a musical bone in my body.

Zitat:
download size

Music is what causes it to be larger. It would only be 2.4MB without music. I could reduce the OGG Quality setting, currently i havn't heard any noticeable difference between the quality settings.

Zitat:
personally i dont like if minigames or tools need to be installed.

The main reason i use installers is to make it simple for people who arn't experienced with computers.

Zitat:
gameplay is somewhat random? finding some combination causes a chain reaction of combinations that where not even visible during the initial click.

Thats the nature of Connect 3 style games. As you have to remove the rows/columns you create, something has to take there place which can cause more rows/columns of 3 or more.

Zitat:
add musik and / or sound off button.

Thats a very good point, i didn't think about a way to turn the music off. The problem with an Add Music bit is that since im using OpenAL it can only read OGG files. Most people proberly wouldn't know how to convert files into OGG. So far iv not been able to find anything about reading MP3's with OpenAL, just posts telling people to forget MP3 and use OGG.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

BeitragVerfasst: Do Mai 20, 2010 13:35 
DGL Member

Programmiersprache: C++
Gave it a quick spin (only had a few minutes to spare, but went to level 5) and so far I actually like it. It's a nice minigame, and most of what concerns me about it has already been mentioned. Especially the missing background makes it look dull on a huge screen (40" LCD-TV), so adding something in the background would be great.

But one thing I'd really like to see would be some visual score feedback. Right now you only see your score change when symbols disappear, but it would be great to have scores float or fade at the position of the disappearing line together with a nice small effect. That would add more information (and add clues on combos and such) and would make the game less static. I don't know if you played my game BeanMachine, but I have particle systems spawning stars and score multipliers where the player removes rows (screenshot), and it would be nice addition to your game.

Other than that it's a nice and polished minigame, for which you usually have to pay. If you spice it up a bit it could be release on the PSN/XBOX Live for 2,99€ or such...

BeitragVerfasst: Sa Mai 22, 2010 05:22 
DGL Member

Iv settled on a clouds background(Preview 1). I looked online for inspiration and no background seemed to work with the layout except nature type scenes. Clouds are from an image i took at the end of 2009 with a photoshop filter applied which makes it look more like it was painted. Was a nightmare trying to remove the seam so it was tile-able horizontally. Clouds move to the left at a speed of 1 pixel per second, so there movement isn't noticeable while playing the game.

When there is only 30 seconds left the background starts to turn red(See Preview 2 and 3).

So far there the only 2 suggestions implemented(Im still modifying the UI so that it doesn't look too dark with the new background) but i will be implemeting the main ideas you two have suggested.

- Preview 1
- Preview 2
- Preview 3

Btw Bean Machine is decent(You could proberly sell it on PSN/XBOX with some upgrades), only problem with it is that it didn't have any resolution selected by default, so my monitor displayed the "Input not Supported" message(I did find the Config bit). Personally i don't like Stars, imo they give things a more "This is for children" look.

BeitragVerfasst: Sa Mai 22, 2010 08:50 
DGL Member

Programmiersprache: C++, C#, Java
Zitat:
Was a nightmare trying to remove the seam so it was tile-able horizontally.

What about using a 360 degree image of real clouds?
E.g. http://www.cgtextures.com/ -> Textures -> Skies 360
Note: These are cube maps, you will need a sky cube to rotate the sky with correct perspective.

BeitragVerfasst: Sa Mai 22, 2010 12:30 
DGL Member

I managed to make it Tile-able, it just took ages. Seams arn't noticeable.

Foren-Übersicht » English » English Programming Forum